Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Tripped Up

Now that the marathon is only 6 weeks away, I'm paranoid that I'm going to get sick or get injured.

Example: Walking down a flight of concrete stairs at the Fairmont, I thought about how much it would hurt and how many bones I would likely break if I fell down them.

Monday night, walking back to my hotel room, I stepped on the edge of a pothole in heels. I didn't really twist my ankle, but I did notice that it kind of hurt when I did it. I forgot about it.

Fast forward to my run today. My ankle was so sore! I'd planned to run 4, but started thinking about cutting it short at 2.5. I toughed it out for the first 2 miles and suddenly it had worked itself out or loosened up to the point that it didn't hurt anymore. In fact, it felt so much better, I considered going for 5 or 6. But, the little paranoid voice in my head told me it probably really did need a little rest and recovery before my run tomorrow. 4 easy, sunny miles it was!

2 comments:

  1. totally normal to be paranoid!...especially for how much time you are investing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i got a stress fracture three weeks before the marathon, but with a little care, I still ran the marathon. I couldn't walk on my foot for about 2 weeks after, but it was totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete