Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Fuel

One of the tricky things to figure out for long runs is when, how, what to fuel your body with.

I typically don't require any fuel for only 6-7 miles. But, if I'm running 8+ miles I usually need fuel. For a Half Marathon, I'm usually good with a couple of GU energy gel packets. I only run for about 2.5 hours, so I don't need any real food to keep me going.

Now that we're getting into higher mileage (16, 18, 20) in our marathon training, we're going to have to start fueling with more than GU to get through. It's tough to think of anything that sounds good to eat while running, other than fruit snacks.

Some people eat dried fruit and nuts. Others pack a peanut butter sandwich.

Any ideas? What works for you? How often do you fuel and what do you eat?

2 comments:

  1. shoot! i'm STILL trying to figure it out!!! can't wait to hear what people say...

    ReplyDelete
  2. sugar. I bought a TON of gatorade and realized that 2/3 of the G2. Ok, but definitely not as effective as the real deal.
    I always think I will want peanut butter/chocolate/granola bar type food in the middle of the long run, but it is always disgusting when time to eat it rolls around.

    Someone (maybe sheena?) suggested freezing the Gu before a long run, so it is chilled when it's time to eat. Not a bad idea.

    ReplyDelete