Sunday, April 10, 2011

If A Race Day Could Be Perfect...

...it would probably look like this. The 2nd Annual Bentonville Half Marathon was last weekend, 04.02.11.

It was 44 degrees at the start. Beautiful, sunny day with little wind (the previous Saturday we'd run 20 miles in freezing rain and 25 mph wind!).

There were 813 finishers in the Half Marathon. We started at the back of the pack.

LAST YEAR we ran this race without training. We decided to do it 2 days before race day and had only run a distance of 6 miles in the month leading up to the event. It was tough. And it was 30 degrees. I think my finish time was longer than 2:45.

Feeling pretty awesome after the first hill and about 3 miles. Hey, someone we know is standing there with a camera! We were feeling so good, we ran a 10K pace for the first 7 miles....and then paid for it the last 6 miles!

Our 10K split was 1 hour 4 minutes. By the last 3 miles of the race the temps were warming up. And our local version of heartbreak hill is in the 13th mile. We'd set out to just have fun and take it easy on this race.

We totally surprised ourselves with a 2 hr 17 min finish time [10 minutes faster than the PR I'd set on 02.06.11 in Huntington Beach]....exactly what I needed to boost my confidence for The Oz Marathon on 04.16.11 in Olathe, KS!

At the time of this post, the race is just over 5 days away. Totally excited and ready for it!

3 comments:

  1. remember what I said about that pink shirt I have on and pictures? There it is! hahahahaa! That race was perfection! The full? All about fun, no pressure to do anything but finish with a S-M-I-L-E! Someone BETTER be there to take a picture of THAT finish line face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, no 10K pace allowed in the full marathon!

    I forgot to note my favorite quote from the race. In mile 2 Meg said, "Just checking...we're not going to run this fast when we start out at the marathon?....right?" Hahahaha!

    And the best visual of the entire race was Meg SMOKING past a guy right on the finish line. It was pure perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think MY race day weather will be this perfect, but I hope it will be just as much fun! I love these pictures!!

    You two are so awesome!

    ReplyDelete